By Iain Ashmore
April 2018 saw a number of photographers looking to the skies as Jim Peterson went about his practice runs for the 2018 Typhoon display.
Jim became a Typhoon pilot in 2006 and took up a position as a ground school and simulator instructor pilot in the Typhoon Training Facility at RAF Coningsby. Where he was posted to XI Sqn Where he conducted Quick Reaction Alert duties in the UK and Falkland Islands and also flew on active operations abroad.
In 2015, Jim joined 29 Squadron as a Flying Instructor. Outside of display flying he plays an active role on 29 Squadron teaching student pilots.
Jim considers it to be a ‘great honour’ to be able to display the aircraft in what is a milestone year – the Royal Air Force’s Centenary celebrations. He designed the display himself to show off the Typhoon’s immense power and acceleration and ensure that the display team’s catchphrase of #BringTheNoise is represented.
You can feel the passion brought by Jim and the team when you view the display. They have certainly achieved what they set out to do.
You can hear the roar and feel the ground vibrate as Jim passes overhead.
The Typhoon is due to display at the following airshows in 2018;
• 17 Shawbury Landowners Day
• 31 *RAF Valley Families Day
• 02-03 Torbay Airshow
• 09 *RAF Benson
• 10 RAF Cosford Airshow
• 16-17 Finnish Air Force 100th Anniversary Airshow
• 22 *RAF Linton Graduation
• 23-24 Weston Air Festival and Armed Forces Day
• 28 *RAF Wittering
• 30 Llandudno Armed Forces National Day
• 30-01 Wales National Airshow
• 07 Yeovilton International Air Day
• 12-13 Goodwood Festival of Speed
• 13-15 Royal International Air Tattoo
• 26 *RAF Marham Families Day
• 26 *RAF Honington Families Day
• 27 *RAF Coningsby Families Day
• 27-29 Sunderland International Air Show
• 28 Scotland’s National Airshow, East Fortune
• 11-12 Blackpool Airshow
• 11-12 Newcastle Festival of Flight, Northern Ireland
• 16-19 ‘Airbourne’ International Air Show, Eastbourne
• 23 Clacton Air Show
• 25-26 Radom International Airshow, Poland
• 30 *RAF Cranwell
• 01-02 Scottish International Airshow, Ayr
• 01-02 Airwaves, Portrush, Northern Ireland
• 08-09 Belgium Air Days, Kleine-Brogel AB
• 15-16 NATO Days in Ostrava & Czech Air Force Days
• 22-23 Duxford Battle of Britain Airshow
* = RAF Families Days which are NOT open to the public.